For April SewCal
Gal had Don Linn for the challenge. Don taught us how to transfer designs to fabrics using tule. I knew I had some tule somewhere in my sewing room so, after digging around for awhile, I pulled it out and remembered I had seen Don demonstrate this some time back but never tried it.
I reduced my photo copy image by 20% but it was still a little bigger then I wanted so I made 65% the size of the original. I couldn’t find the grey sharpie so got a light blue, yellow and a darker grey. None of them showed up on the black tule but the grey did show up on the candlelight tule.
I pinned the tule pattern to my fabric and used the Clover white pen to make the transfer.
I used Superior Thread’s Master Piece #150 (light lavender) on top, #182 (ash blond) in the bobbin with a #12 topstitch needle.
Here is the finished block: front
the tule transfer works well and I will be using the method again.
In sewing the design I found if I went really slow I could stay on the lines accurately. It took a lot of patience on my part but I did it! I loved putting the pebbles in the center of the flower and noticed my stipple changed size according to my desire to finish. If I ever use the stipple as an all over design I will really have to concentrate to keep it consistent.
Thanks to Don Linn and SewCal Gal for once again giving us a quality Challenge.
This is my May entry for the Free motion Quilting Challenge being held by SewCal Gal. I am having a lot of fun and learning a great deal from these wonderful on-line ladies. Thank you for your generosity.
I started the second panel on Karen’s wall hanging and got brave so I added some texture to the lighthouse it’s self. I’ve never been to this lighthouse so I don’t know if it is made from rocks or not but I added them anyway. A little artistic license on my part
My daughter-in-law collects lighthouses. Not the real thing, replicas. On a trip last summer I found some lighthouse panels in a quilt shop, sorry I don’t remember the name of the shop, and purchased three of them. Leah Day’s videos inspired me to actually do something with the panels so here is what I have been working on this week.
The borders, sashing, backing and batting are from my stash.
The lighthouse is outlined and I’m working on the foreground.
The first panel is complete unless I decide to outline the windows and give the lighthouse some texture, but my practice ‘pebbles’ are pretty bad.
What I have learned so far is that I need to do more preplanning and not just jump in.
Thank you Leah for your inspiring videos.
I have a lot of new things going on in my life right now, Free Motion Quilting being a major one, also trying to figure out how to do all the fancy stuff on a blog like side bars and connecting to another blog. Hope this doesn’t completely blow my mind Hahaha
I’m going to have to get on my computer to change my heading picture as iPad doesn’t work for cropping the image.